· Hard work means being persistently or customarily engaged in an activity. ‘Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard’’. For example, a school student who takes up multiple additional courses could be considered hardworking.
· Smart work means achieving more in less time by appropriately prioritizing work. Let us take up an example when a student narrows down his/her focus to one subject at a time while preparing for entrance exams might be considered as smart work.
PROS OF HARD WORK
· SELF GRATIFICATION
A hard-working person always gets the feeling of ecstasy once the task is completed.
· TEACHES THE ART OF PATIENCE
For working long hours consistently, one needs to endure patience.
· THE ART OF BEING DISCIPLINARIAN
The utmost requirement for being a hard-working person is discipline. It is observed that a hard-working person is not easily distracted.
Being hardworking means being punctual towards the work assigned, to finish all the tasks on time.
CONS OF HARD WORK
Hard work requires long hours of work which might be a problem for some people around the world.
· LABOURSOME AND HECTIC
For being a hard worker, one needs to work laboriously which can kill the time for self-enjoyment.
· ISN’T SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO REACH OUR GOALS
· Hard work isn’t fully sufficient for us to reach our goals as for being successful right planning towards the desired goals is required.
· UNEXCITING AT TIMES
Continuously working daily for long durations without taking any breaks can make one feel tiresome and dull at times.
PROS OF SMART WORK
· INNOVATORY AND CREATIVE
Smart work makes one innovative and creative as it requires both practical and vivid thinking.
· ENHANCEMENT OF PRODUCTIVITY
Smart work gives fulfilling results which enhances the productivity of a person.
· TEACHES TIME MANAGEMENT
Smart work involves a lot of planning and mapping of tasks that are required to be fulfilled which in return builds up time management skills.
· STRENGTHEN FOCUS
· Smart work requires complete use of intellect and presence of mind which ultimately strengthen the focus of a person.
CONS OF SMART WORK
· MAY MAKE ONE LETHARGIC
Smart gives more output in less work which may make one lazy towards his/her job.
· MAY DESPISE THE TRADITIONAL WAY OF WORKING
It is commonly observed that the students who have a higher inclination towards smart work are not well adapted to the traditional way of working, such as studying history as a subject at school.
· MIGHT DEVELOP THE HABIT OF OVERTHINKING
Smart working people are always thinking of new ways to solve a problem which might lead to overthinking patterns that could affect their mental health status eventually.
IS HARD WORK OR SMART WORK BETTER IN THE LONG RUN?
In my personal opinion, I believe that it is hard work which in long makes one a
successful personality, because it is hard work which helps us gain experience which ultimately brushes up one’s smart working operational skills. One can lead a fulfilling and tranquil life by incorporating both hard work and smart work hand in hand. By being just a hard worker, one might not reach certain heights as overall development may get stagnant, just like a serviceman who works extra shifts to feed his/her family might not step ahead because of not working individually for himself/herself.
Whereas the CEO of the company uses both smart work and hard work to gain his/her full potential by using such strategies to make other people work under him/her as per his/her ideal structures. To bring out the best in one, a slightly higher inclination towards hard work is required. The effort is important but where to make the effort creates all the difference.